Uganda is a country situated in East Africa vastly known for its snowcapped mountains, abundant wildlife and enormous lake victoria. If you want to visit Uganda for tourism, business or to meet the family you would have to apply for a visa. As of now, citizens of over 50 different countries are eligible for an electronic visa. Obtaining an e-visa is hassle-free and faster, there's no need to stand in long queues for a visa on arrival application.
What is an e-visa?
An e-visa enables foreigners to enter the country. Your visa type determines whether you'll get a single entry or multiple entries. The process of applying for an e-visa is online and much easier than going to an embassy.
How many types of e-visa are available?
There are 3 most common types of e-visa available for foreigners wanting to visit Uganda.
Tourist e-visa - This visa is more popular in comparison to the others. It is given to foreigners entering the country for sightseeing and other tourist activities.
Transit e-visa - This visa is only valid for a short period. It is only required for travellers who need to pass through the international zone of the airport without entering the territory of Uganda.
East Africa e-visa - This visa allows travellers to enter Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda without getting three separate visas.
READ ALSO: Uganda Visa Types
Apply for an Uganda e-visa:
You can easily get your e-visa through these 3 simple steps
Step 1 - Fill the Uganda visa application form online
Your general information should be filled up correctly. Upload all the required documents.
Step 2 - Pay the application fee
Submit the fee online and wait for the confirmation code. After your application would get approved, you'll get your e-visa in .pdf form in your mail.
Step 3 - Download your e-visa
Download the .pdf and keep a printout with you while travelling. Keep a .pdf copy on your mobile phone for easy access.
Note - The information provided here is about tourist e-visa.
Documents required for an e-visa
- Passport copy - Scan a clear copy of all personal details, the issue and the expiry date of the passport and upload it.
- Passport photo - Applicants photograph must be with a white background and of 3×4cm size.
- Last page of passport (if applicable) - The last page of your passport is required.
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate - A yellow card (international certificate of vaccination) is required for all travellers to enter the country.
- Invitation letter (if applicable) - A letter issued by the person or an institute you'll be visiting. This letter will state the cause and duration of your stay.
- Proof of accommodation (if applicable) - Hotel/apartment reservation made by you in Uganda. In case of your stay at a friend's/relative's place, their ID and address proof might be required.
- Travel itinerary (if applicable) - A travel itinerary isn't a ticket but a travel reservation made in your name. You don't have to book actual tickets before your visa is approved, instead, look for a hotel and flight itinerary.
READ ALSO: Uganda Immigration Procedure
- The validity of a tourist e-visa of Uganda is 90 days.
- Tourist e-visa only allows a single entry in Uganda.
- You shouldn't be possessing any other e-visa of Uganda before applying for a tourist visa.
- Your passport should be valid for a minimum of 6 months before entering the country.
- You shouldn't be inside the Republic of Uganda while applying for an e-visa.
- According to the covid-19 protocols, travellers are also required to have proof of a negative result for COVID-19 PCR test issued no more than 72 hours prior to departure.
- Kids under the age of 5 must be immunised against polio.
- Make sure you have a stable internet connection during the application process otherwise in case of disruption, an error message might pop up on your screen.
- The same passport must be used while applying and upon arriving.
- An e-visa is needed for each traveller including infants and children.
- Additional documents might be needed for minors like birth certificates, NOC, etc.
- While visiting a friend or relative, their ID proof, address proof and invitation letter are required.