To visit the United Kingdom and witness its glory is pure bliss for every tourist to experience. To travel to the UK, it is mandatory for any applicant to have a valid UK Visa types. You need to understand under which Visa you are permitted to enter. Here is the detailed account of everything you need to know about UK Visa Types through Tourist Visa Online. The Visa types in the UK ranges from Transit Visa, Tourist Visa, Work Visa, Study Visa, and Family Visa.
The countries - England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland collectively form the United Kingdom. Each of the countries is profoundly known for its culture, heritage, and their glorious literary history, making it one of the most traveled destination. These major attractions, attract most of the people all across the globe. On a yearly basis, the United Kingdom collectively receive more than millions of travelers.
The United Kingdom is most traveled for various purposes like – Work, Business, Education, Transit, Tourism, Seeking refuge, reside with a family member who is already staying in one of the countries, and for medical reasons. For every visit, a purpose is required according to which you will have to apply for the desired Visa.
The UK immigration authorities are pretty strict over their Visa application procedures. Their security system is stronger than most of the countries around the globe. While applying for the Visa, the applicant is supposed to submit certain documents and follow certain norms as per the United Kingdom Visa Policy. This will set an assurance and may help the applicant in getting his or her Visa granted.
We at Tourist Visa Online portal, aim to help our readers achieve all the information regarding their pleasant trip to their desired destination. This blog will guide the readers' everything they need to know about UK Visa types. By the end of the blog, the readers will get a solution to all their concerns.
- UK Visa Services
- UK Visa Types
- Frequently Asked Questions
UK Visa Services
The UK Visa is an authorizing document which permits the applicants all over the world to enter for a visit, reside temporarily or permanently in the United Kingdom Territory. Visa of the United Kingdom comes in a form of either a stamp which is placed on the passport or it’s a document that is given by a UK consulate or the embassy.
In case, the applicant is granted the Visa of the UK, it can be comprehended that they have met the requirements which are need for acquiring the Visa and now are eligible to enter the country. Some of the reasons why people travel to the UK are:
- For Work or business purposes
- For pursuing further studies
- For the reason of touring and exploring
- For joining their already present and settled family members
- For the purpose of transiting from one country to the other
- For living in the country permanently
- On the grounds of seeking protection as a refugee
As per the UK visa policy, the citizens of several countries across the globe are permitted to stay up to six months, most of these citizens belong to the EU and the Commonwealth states. In case the applicant is not from the countries of which the citizens can live up to for 6 months, then they will have to apply for a standard UK tourist Visa.
UK Visa Types
As we already know the reasons and purposes people have to visit the United Kingdom, this is why the UK Immigration authorities have organized a Visa system based on the purpose of visiting through a variety of Visa Types.
Following are the UK Visa Types:
- Work and Business Visas.
- Study Visas.
- Visitor Visas.
- Family Visas.
- Settlement Visas.
- Transit Visas.
The UK work visa types can be categorized into the following types:
- Short term work visas
The short-term work visas belong to the Tier 5 Visas which is also known as temporary visas.
- Long term work visas
The Long term work Visas belong to the Tier 2 Visas which provide a visa to the applicant for a comparatively longer period.
- Investor, Business Development, and talent visas.
The immigration authorities of the UK, have established various types of visas for foreign investors, business developers, and talented personals. All these people to obtain a Visa must apply through this category.
- Other kinds of work visas
Other kinds of Work Visas include the United Kingdom Ancestry Visa, Domestic Workers in private household visa, Turkish Worker UK Visa and many more.
Through the UK business visa, the applicant can receive a one –time which is a longer-term Visa which allows them to stay in the UK for up to 6 months at a stretch. In case the applicant is applying for a Business Visa, they can apply for the following purposes:
- In case the applicant is attending a conference, meeting, or a training session in the United Kingdom.
- In case the applicant is participating in a sports activity.
- In case the applicant is trying to find funding for either starting, joining, or trying to run their UK-based business.
The United Kingdom is profoundly known as the academics hub as the universities the country offers have a stagnant reputation for its educational excellence and quality. Millions of international students come to the United Kingdom just to excel in their education by choosing thousands of courses.
For all those who wish to apply for a Student Visa for studying in the United Kingdom, here are some of the criteria you are required to meet. The Applicant may apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if they can meet the following criteria:
- The applicant can apply for a UK student Visa only if he/she is of 16 years and above.
- If the applicant has been provided with a place on the course, by a student sponsor who has a license.
- If the applicant is financially stable to support him/herself and pay for the desired course.
- If the applicant has an understanding of the language of English and can speak, read, and write.
Due to the ancient architecture, modern upliftments, and a direct connection with the literary background, the United Kingdom is considered as one of the most popular destinations. Millions of people, yearly travel to the UK to witness and explore the beauty of the country.
The UK tourism and visit visas are usually issued for a shorter tenure. You can stay up to 6 months on a Tourist Visa. The process of acquiring a UK visa may take around 3-4 weeks. The tourist/visit visa for the UK can be applicable in case of:
- The Applicant wishes to visit his/her family and friends settled in the UK.
- The applicant visiting the UK for the purpose of leisure and touring.
- The applicant has some Visiting the UK for medical reasons
- The applicant is a part of other activities that are not business-related.
For all those who are wanting to visit their family members who are settled in the United Kingdom or are wanting to establish their family permanently in the UK, need to apply for the UK Family Visa.
The applicant cannot apply for the UK family Visa in the following circumstances:
- If the applicant is already present in the UK under a work visa or a temporary student visa.
- If the applicant is already living in the UK with a Visit Visa under the validity period of 6 months.
The applicant can apply for UK Family Visa under the following categories:
- UK Spouse visa
- UK Parent visa
- UK Child visa
The UK Transit Visa should be acquired by the foreigners who do not belong to the EU countries including Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, and Switzerland, and are transiting through the UK to reach their desired destination.
Through a UK transit visa, the applicant gets the opportunity wherein they can apply for a long –term transit visa, only if the applicant submits enough evidence regarding their frequent travel through the UK and do not intend staying in the country permanently. The long-term transit visas can be acquired from 1 to 10 years.
The applicant can make a choice amongst the following types of transit visas:
- Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) – this kind of visa is applicable for all those who change their flights through the UK and are not going to leave the Airport.
- Visitor in Transit Visa – this kind of visa is applicable for foreigners who wish to leave the airport and travel ahead using other means of transport. This Visa has a validity of up to 4 days.
Electronic Visa Waiver
In the year 2016, the United Kingdom established The Electronic Visa Waiver for citizens of Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates who wish to visit the UK for a maximum of six months for the purpose of Business, tourism, study, or medical aids.
For a tenure longer than six months, the citizens of the above countries are required to apply for other kinds of Visas.
Some of the important instructions one needs to follow for the Electronic Visa:
- The UK Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW) is a Single Entry visa, the applicants can enter the UK only once amidst its Validity.
- The applicant is permitted the stay in The United Kingdom for a maximum of 180 days Per Entry.
- Once the applicant enters the United Kingdom, they will be required to present their biometric passport along with their EVW either in a hard print copy or a soft copy through their electronic device.
- The applicant must make sure, that they cannot use their EVW to either work or get married in the UK.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I study in the UK with my visitor’s visa?
The visitors are permitted to stay in the country for a maximum of 30 days with the purpose of visit or tourist. The main reason for their visit is not to study. The only permitted course in the UK includes recreational course which is undertaken for the purpose of leisure or courses like short language courses from an accredited institution can be permitted.
Q. How many months prior am I supposed to issue my UK Visa?
For a systematic and hassle-free application, it is best to issue your UK Visa at least 3 months before the travel date.
Q. How do I know which is the best UK Visa type for me?
To know the Best UK Visa type for anyone, the only way to judge is the purpose of the applicant’s visit. Only once you are aware of the purpose of the visit of the applicant, you can gauge through the types of Visa UK possess. This blog provided the readers with everything they need to know about UK transit Visa, Tourist Visa, Work Visa, study, and Family Visa. Reading through the blog will help the applicant gain some insight into the UK Visa types.