If you are an Egyptian citizen planning a trip to Ethiopia, you should start by applying for a visa. This article will talk all about the requirements and procedures regarding an Ethiopian Visa for Egyptians.
Ethiopia is a small country in East Africa, surrounded by land on all sides. It is a country of great archaeological and cultural importance. One of the best things about it is the low crime rate, making it one of the safest countries in the world for travellers.
Read on below to find out about covid travel rules, travel agencies, E-visas requirements and much more.
Kinds of Visas
Generally, Egyptian citizens are eligible to get either an Ethiopian visa on arrival or an e-visa. However, if your purpose of the visit is education, business or something else during the Covid 19 pandemic, then you get the option of applying for the following visas.
Visa on Arrival
An arrival visa, such as this is issued to travellers when they enter the airport of the destination country. Since Egyptian citizens are on the exemption list of mandatory tourist visas, they can use this option.
A basic Ethiopian visa for tourists authorizes them to enter and travel inside a country. However, it does not permit any business transactions or any other such activity.
This visa is typically available for 30 to 90 days maximum. Egyptians can get an e-tourist visa before travelling.
An Egyptian citizen holding a diplomatic service passport can visit the country without an Ethiopian visa. They can remain in the country for 3 months.
READ ALSO: Ethiopia visa types
Ethiopia Visa during the pandemic
The Covid 19 pandemic, has led to the Ethiopian government changing some travel rules and regulations. Currently, the country is not processing regular travel visas.
The pandemic has left quite a lot of substitutions in the Ethiopian Visa application process. Only Egyptian citizens holding a diplomatic visa can enter the nation.
In 2018, the government simplified the process to get an Ethiopia Visa. Nationals of all countries can now simply get an e-visa.
There are travel agencies like tourist visa online at your beck and call for such tasks. You will have to fill an application form, submit some digital documents and submit the visa fee through them.
The agency will then mail you the approved e-visas in a couple of days. Usually, the consulate takes just 24 hours to process these
READ ALSO: Ethiopia visa services
If Egyptians wishes to get a visa on arrival smoothly, it is important to carry all documents. Airport authorities can prevent your entry in the country due to incomplete documents. Here is a list of documents to keep with you at all times:
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 months.
- One passport size picture, taken against a white background.
- Standard identification documents.
- Citizens of Egypt will also need to show proof of vaccination against yellow fever.
- Proof of Polio Vaccination
- Details of your entire travel schedule, accommodations.
- A copy of the return ticket from the country.
If you are using a quick service providing agency like, tourist visa online, then follow the steps below for an e-visa. Make sure to apply at least a week before the date of the trip.
- Go to their official website –
- Enter details of your citizenship and country of residence and hit on apply for visa.
- Fill the form and attach all the digitised documents.
- Pay the visa fee.
- Once the application is processed, you will receive a mail from the agency.
- Print a hard copy of all the paperwork and visa and carry them to the airports.
READ ALSO: Ethiopia visa processing time
Travel Requirements for Egyptian citizens
- It is important to know, that visitors who remain in the country longer than their Ethiopian visa allows, will have to pay a tax.
- Travellers should be vaccinated and carry with them proof or certificate of vaccination.
- The airport authorities will only consider those certificates which are of the Ethiopian approved vaccines, such as – Sinopharm, AstraZeneca and Johnson and Johnson.
- Travellers also need to provide a negative RT-PCR report even before getting on the plane